Sunday, September 28, 2008

Jesus!

I have been reading through the gospels and the more I read about Jesus, the more I realize that I had Him all wrong. I know that He wasn't the hugging-everyone, lamb-toting, weeping Jesus that Perry says people mistake Him for, but it seems like He often did things that just straight-up surprised me. Sometimes His language seemed condescending... sometimes He seemed to have an extra-short fuse... but the thing that confused me most was when He told people that their faith healed them.

Here's what I mean. People would see that Jesus was healing all kinds of sicknesses and afflictions. They would sneak up on Him or destroy the roof of a house to get to Him... all just to touch the hem of his robe. He would realize the people were doing that and He would turn to them and say, "Don't worry; your faith has healed you."

What??

It doesn't seem to me like faith was the major motivating factor there. I would think that they just wanted to be healed...

Was Jesus just looking into their hearts and knowing their faith? If that was the case, then He never turned away anyone (to my knowledge) throughout the gospels. This would mean that no one came to Him selfishly for healing... I don't understand.

Does anyone else think Jesus had a pretty sharp tongue? I know that He wasn't sinful... and that's what I think made Him so dangerous. People knew Jesus would say the tough things that needed to be said.

I mean, the man made a whip and cleared the entire temple alone. That's a pretty short fuse (with good reason, of course). Jesus was tough! He was quick to rebuke and quick to speak His mind. Sometimes He even seemed sarcastic when He was trying to teach His thick-headed disciples.

I definitely can't figure Him out completely... but I definitely wanna be like Him!

No comments: